Wednesday, March 13, 2013

TIA

The afternoon and evening here was pretty low key. It is much smaller, and quieter, than the Village in White River, SA. Once I got to the farm, I met Liz, Adam, Levy, as well as Abe and Suzette (USA) and Shelly (CAN). Liz cooked an amazing dinner for us all and we all got to relax while Lynn and George were meeting before and after dinner. Obviously I was able to get on the internet to blog and update my facebook, that is until the power went out. Let's review:

First night in South Africa: no power
First night in Luanshya, Zambia: loss of power
Candlelight is becoming a theme of my African life...

Adam (UK) brought me a candle, only to discover (as we were attempting to light it) that it's wick had been lost. It was one of those amusing moments "I wanted to make sure you had a candle." (I'm trying to light candle) "I don't think that's the right end" (I turn the candle over) "Well surprise it's a trick candle. Here, just take another box of matches" No worries, I eventually did fish out the wick and get my candle melted into place. (We aren't picky, we use plan pillar candles in whatever holder we can find. Sometimes we use actual candle holders, but normally we just find empty bottles or small tin cans, from tuna, etc.

So here I am, first day in Zambia. It should be fairly low key while I am here. I want to take a look at my budget since I knew leaving South Africa was a possibility, but wasn't entirely sure where I would be placed after orientation. Everything happened so fast I didn't sit down to look at numbers before jumping on a plane. I did a quick analysis yesterday and I should be fine, but I'd like to look at things in more detail. Hopefully I'll also have time to explain more about how Hands works, and how (and why) I ended up here in Zambia.

Thanks for sticking with me, and thanks for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment