Sunday, February 17, 2013

Community Church

Yesterday we got to experience the Mac Mac pools. They are gorgeous! Naturally, I am not anymore coordinated here in Africa and I slipped on one of the rocks. And in true PA fashion, I cleaned and bandaged myself up only to get a sunburn. Luckily the sunburn mostly faded, so I'm actually nearly as pale as I was before I got any sun, but my scrape is quite the sight... I did get to experience some fun stuff prior to slipping though, and I took some really cool pictures.


Mac Mac Pools!  You can swim under those waterfalls, and I did!







And Dave Bentley, master of the braai, showing us all how it is done. I have to give him credit, he does know what he is doing, and it was delicious. I might not need to eat any meat again for a month, but it was well worth it!




 The view was just incredible!




So anytime you are swimming at a waterfall, it is common knowledge that you are obviously required to jump off said waterfall. So here is our attempt to jump all at once.




Except jumping all at once was a bit too risky, as there are only so many areas you can jump. We tried to stagger, but Dave, Joe and I ended up waiting out the first round. Then as soon as the water cleared we all jumped in, or so we thought... but no worries, we did eventually get Joe to jump in. He even lived to tell about it!




 It's us! Everyone in our intake plus Divvy and Ashely, the Village Chief. From left to right: front row is Alicia and Mariah, middle row is Divvy, Dave, Mel, me, back row is Ashley, Russell and Joe. I love this picture of us!



And a picture of the entire crew on our Mac Mac day. Such an amazing, fun group of people!





Today the eight of us got a taste of African worship. We went into Nelspruit to a Kenyan Church. We'll hit several different Churches in the area to see the variety the area has to offer. This particular Church service lasted just under two hours. It was definitely at experience. The minister asked us to go to the front and introduce ourselves so the congregation could know who they were worshiping with, which was a pretty cool experience. The main scripture was 1 Chronicles 14: 8-17 [NIV]:

"When the Philistines heard that David had been anointed king over all Israel, they went up in full force to search for him, but David heard about it and went out to meet them. Now the Philistines had come and raided the Valley of Rephaim; so David inquired of God: “Shall I go and attack the Philistines? Will you deliver them into my hands?”
The Lord answered him, “Go, I will deliver them into your hands.”
So David and his men went up to Baal Perazim, and there he defeated them. He said, “As waters break out, God has broken out against my enemies by my hand.” So that place was called Baal Perazim. The Philistines had abandoned their gods there, and David gave orders to burn them in the fire.
Once more the Philistines raided the valley; so David inquired of God again, and God answered him, “Do not go directly after them, but circle around them and attack them in front of the poplar trees. As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the poplar trees, move out to battle, because that will mean God has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army.” So David did as God commanded him, and they struck down the Philistine army, all the way from Gibeon to Gezer.
So David’s fame spread throughout every land, and the Lord made all the nations fear him."

The message was about breakthroughs in our lives. It was definitely cool, and definitely appropriate timing with everything we have experienced on our trip so far. It will definitely be a memorable day. Then we went to do a little more shopping. I got a deck of cards and some post cards, a few of the others got some clothing items. Then we all came back to do laundry or relax, until it was time to get ready for curry night. Everyone in the Village was invited to bring a dish. There was so, so much food and it was all delicious. We'll all sleep well with full stomachs tonight, which is good because tomorrow is going to be another long day. We're headed back to Welverdiend to work in the community there. I should probably look over my language guide. I'm learning I am better at some things than others, and learning African languages is not necessarily one of my better skills...

I hope everyone has enjoyed a relaxing Sunday afternoon. I'm excited to give you more updates about the work we're doing this week. And as always, thanks for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment