Friday, January 16, 2015

So I'm going to New York...

Just a quick note to let you all know that I'm going on a quick trip to New York in a few weeks! It was kindof last minute, but those trips can be the most fun! I'm very excited because not only have I never been to New York, but I get to see it with some of my favorite people!

What I know: George will be attending a conference in Toronto with a 'Footprinter' (Footprints was the name of Hands volunteer program several years ago) named Farzam. We've never met but I've heard his name often. Its exciting that George (and Prag too!) will have the opportunity to speak at this conference. Prior to that, George will be flying to Florida to meet a prospective new church partner (which is always exciting!) The Hands US board will also be meeting in Florida, right before George flies to Toronto. Time with George is always so precious and it's hard to make time to meet with everyone we would like him to. Since he was going to be on the east coast, it made sense that he would make a quick stop in New York to speak at Sara's church. Sara went to Africa with Hands in 2011 and has since sponsored team trips from her church. George was able to speak there in October of 2013, but did not make it on the North American tour last October. Suzette and Brooke will also be traveling with George. Suzette is from San Francisco. We actually met briefly at Kachele Farm when we were both in Luanshya, Zambia. She was in Zambia,  preparing to go to South Africa when I initially arrived in Zambia for my country stay. That was in March 2013. I haven't seen her since! I met Sara and Brooke both for the first time at the Hands Family Reunion in Wisconsin in October 2013. I haven't had the chance to see Sara in person since. I saw Brooke last October in Minnesota. This trip is so exciting to me 1) because the five of us(including George) have never all been in the same place at the same time and 2) because it's a ''bonus trip!

Since coming home from Africa in April 2013, I've relied on the fall tour as my time to break my normal routine and take a weekend to connect with other Hands volunteers and advocates. I honestly hadn't planned on taking any other trips prior to flying to Africa in May. When Sara invited me to come to New York last week, my initial gut response was 'no.' Oh believe me I wanted to go, but my rational brain was focused on the numbers. Cost of flights vs the fact that I'm already buying flights to Africa vs my budget. It's an easy trap. But, thankfully, I slept on it. Comments Brooke made at a lunch meeting prior to everyone arriving in Wisconsin over a year ago resounded in my heart AND my head. We may not live the typical missionary life but we are missionaries. Living in a relatively normal world while our thoughts/time/energy/hearts are half a world away. Do you know how many children I could feed with money I just spent on flights? Don't ask. That's my point. We are Christians who love and have committed ourselves to the vulnerable children in Africa. And that commitment comes with a price. Over the nearly two years I've been home - that's 643 days, I have spent 6 days in person with other Hands volunteers. That includes travel time, so it's actually a generous number. If you do that math (because of course I had to) that breaks down to less than 1%! Sure, we try to skype at least once a month. It's more depending on what you're involved with and what is going on at that time of the year. [It can be few and far between for some of us at certain times.] Suzette lives in California, Brooke lives in Minnesota, Sara lives in New York and I live in Pennsylvania. Thats why, even though we hate to spend the money, it is so important to make the sacrifice to be together when we get the chance. It makes such a difference! (I could list many Bible verses that reference the importance of fellowing, but I'm won't) It's a time we invest in each other, build each other up. We reflect with each other on the progress that has been made, give the glory to God, and challenge each other for the work that lies ahead. In our rational minds we hate to spend the money, but in our hearts we know we need to. Because we only have one life. Because people and relationships are what is important in life. We say we love them, but do we show it in action? We should value our friends and family more than our bank accounts!

So after my internal debate of head vs heart, my heart ultimately persevered. But then my next dilemma: I requested the Friday off with some anxiety because if you know me, you know I rarely use my vacation days. 2014 was actually the first year I used all of my vacation days within the calendar year. [It shouldn't really 'count' though because I used four of them to spend time with family the week following my father's death.] Anyway six years of not using all(if any - sad, but true) of my vacation days combined with the fact that I'm already planning to take off three weeks for my trip in May(which is more than my allotment of paid vacation to begin with) was messing with me. I submitted my request with great pause, not sure if it would be met with annoyance or indifference. But I told myself that 'its just one day' and 'May is three months from now.'

So after all that, here I sit. Flight tickets purchased and one night booked at the airport hotel. It's only January 15th and already I have been challenged on my perception of money and my job, and let's be honest my plan. (I'm a big planner!) I'm getting the feeling that 2015 is going to be a pivotal year. But I booked the flight I hadn't planned on taking, and that's the first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment