Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Housekeeping

I've made just a few more additions to the blog. (Hopefully you'll find them beneficial)
  • At the very top of the page you will find my new pages bar. On the right-hand side, you will see a tab called 'Watchwords Past'. Clicking on this tab will provide a complete list of Watchwords going back to 1999. In case you are interested in what verses George and Carolyn have felt led to in the past, it's all there!
  • On the top right of the page, right above the about me section, you can see the 2014 Watchword. I'll be updating this with the 2015 Watchword very soon. The Watchword is a verse that we focus on throughout the year to find strength and purpose. These verses are often a source of light and encouragement, especially when the work we do makes our hearts heavy.
  • If you scroll down the page, right underneath the total pageviews graph, you will find a new contact form. Try it out! If you'd like send me a question you have about Africa, our work, buying groceries, whatever. I'll certainly try to answer! (Or I will get in touch with someone who can give you a better answer!)
  • At the very bottom of the page, you will find a satellite map (the Powr Map). If you've ever been curious about where we do what we do, this is something to check out! But I must give you a disclaimer: there are still many areas that I personally know nothing about, except that we work there. I tried to highlight the main areas in each country to the best of my ability. I'll edit the map as I learn more specifics. If you're interested in what I will personally be doing be sure to check out: The HUB(our home-base and tentatively my first stop in May), Kachele Farm(It's becoming the 'Second HUB' where a lot of things go on and tentatively my second stop in May), The Kitwe Service Center(where I spent my time in Zambia during 2013, working with the staff and learning about Hands) and the Mwaiseni Community Based Organization(CBO)(where I had my community stay in Zambia and fell in love with Mwaiseni! This is the community I advocate for and will be working in: it's the main reason this trip came to be!) To use the map: You can scroll up and down on the left to see the places I have listed. Clicking on a location will show you that tag on the map (ie clicking on 'Kachele Farm' will show you the tag located in Luanshya, Zambia) If you stay zoomed in, which is the default of the gadget, you will only see individual tags. If you look at the map and see the + and - signs, underneath the yellow person, clicking the - sign will allow you to zoom out and see where tags are located in context. (ie in South Africa you will see the distance between the HUB and Service Centers) Feel free to play around with it!

***Disclaimer: at this point the blog is really changing. I will try to point out changes in the blog, but it's changing daily...so make sure you try to keep up! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment