Tuesday, April 23, 2013

One Week

It's hard to believe I have been home a week.
It's hard to believe I have been home just one week.

I did all of my laundry, and finally put nearly everything away.
I got a bunch of pictures developed. I even bought a few frames to display my favorites.
I've eaten so much American food. I have sang to so many American songs.
 I got out my guitar. Hopefully I will eventually slowly learn to play...




I have already put in a full work week, picking up exactly where I left off.
Maybe I got back into the groove of things too swiftly...
...because I am sick! But don't worry, mom, it's not malaria - I took a test!




See? That, my friends, is a negative Malaria test.

 I am reminded of the luxuries I have. Access to a Malaria kit for one. Access to medical care in the event that it was positive. Access to basic OTC medications since it is not. Clean water to drink cool on its own, or hot with tea or cocoa. A soft pillow and blankets. A bed in a quiet, private room. Curtains to block out the sunlight so I can sleep in. Tissues to blow my nose. The list goes on... Even in my illness, my blessings are abundant compared to the families I met in Africa.

So the test is negative: of course that means I have something else. Something probably common and boring, like a cold or the flu. Perhaps the respiratory infection is back for round two... So it is time for hot cocoa and lots of sleep. Luckily, I have the day off of work tomorrow. Yet another luxury...

No comments:

Post a Comment