Wednesday, July 6, 2016

God's plan

Recently I read a post on the true context of Jeremiah 29:11. You can read the full post here, but the quick gist:

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11 [NIV]

what society thinks the verse means:

"God has a plan for me that is good, so clearly this suffering I’m going through will end soon and then my flourishing will begin!"

what the verse actually means:

"...the heart of the verse is “not that we would escape our lot, but that we would learn to thrive” in the midst of it"

I have to admit, I love that! Not that its always easy, but that it is always worth it. God's plans are always better.

I'm sitting in my little apartment with the lights off and windows open, taking in the last sun of the day. I am thankful, grateful and in awe of God's goodness. I am sun-kissed after a weekend away with new friends. I am humbled that in a few weeks I will be reunited with dear friends in South Africa, and meeting new friends in Swaziland. I think I was indecisive for a long time. I didn't know if I was coming or going, and I wasn't really living my life to the fullest. Moving into my own apartment meant committing to living in the here and now for the immediate future. I don't know what lies beyond, but I am firmly rooted in today. Since making a decision, committing to the here and now, I am floored by God's goodness. I am no longer wavering about making a decision and second guessing why God lead me here. Nothing has changed, and yet everything has changed - because I am able to focus on other things. Maybe making a decision has enabled me to look at other things, or maybe it was God's plan all along. Either way, I am grateful to be embracing this season. 

I promise I will write more soon, especially as my next trip gets even closer!

No comments:

Post a Comment