Thursday, July 30, 2015

Countdown...

Well, we just had our final team meeting over Skype. We fly on Saturday!!!

God has been SO KIND. As this trip drew near, I felt very uncertain about getting all of my work done, for my job and for Hands US, before I left. As of today, I've done the majority of what I needed to do - and the more time consuming jobs at that! So I just have to tidy a few things up during the next two days of work and I'll be good to go!

And finishing packing. That too.

Saturday morning I'll fly to Chicago. I'm the first one of the group to arrive. Mikhayla should arrive an hour after I do. We've never met in person, but we'll have plenty of time to chat. It will probably be a few more hours before five more of our group arrive. I don't mind. I've spent my fair share of hours lounging in ORD the last two years. I'll be the first to admit that when I went to Africa in 2013 I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I didn't know anyone, I didn't really know what Hands did. There is still so much I still have to learn, but I'm so thankful for all God has done. I've taken more flights in the last 2.5 years than I did in the previous 10. Last July I lost my dad, but this trip to Zambia will be my fourth Hands trip in 11 months. Two trips within the United States and two trips to Africa. I fully believe that this is an example of God's perfect timing. I feel like I'm fulfilling something I was made for.

I have specific memories that I hadn't thought about in quite some time. When I was really little, I remember being in Sunday School hearing a story about the disciples and wondering if I would let go of all of my toys to follow Jesus. (Wrestling with God...as much as a 7 year old can wrestle with God...) Incidentally, this got me in trouble in Sunday School because I was thinking what it would be like to empty my toy chest in order to travel the world with the disciples when the preacher was trying to tell us about his decision to leave the church. (ah, childhood memories...) When I was 14, I asked my parents if I could go on a mission trip to Washington DC. My older brother either couldn't go or wasn't interested and they weren't sure about letting me go. They ultimately decided to let me go but, according to my mom, 'only because its not Africa' I'm not kidding. Famous last words. (Mothers, be VERY careful about what you say to your children. You never know what might come back to haunt you.) Those I thought about when I went to Africa in 2013. Recently, I've been tweaking html code for some emails that the COMMs team has been working on. I remembered a summer, I think I was 13, when my dad encouraged me to take a computer class at the local technology center. A major project was creating our own websites. (The classy kind...it was the 90s! I'm pretty sure Windows still had that old school desktop and the brick maze screen savers.) That was the first time I ever used html! 15 years later and I've let go of loads of material possessions because I want to be willing to go anywhere at any time God calls, I have no problem living out of a suitcase, I've been to Africa twice, and I'm on the COMMs team for Hands US. I'd be lying if I said I saw the real significance of any of those memories at the time, but looking back it's so obvious isn't it?! And while I still have major areas of uncertainty in my life, that could easily seem overwhelming, in my work with Hands I am content.

God made us all uniquely. Maybe you don't want to go to Africa, maybe you like your creature comforts. There's nothing wrong with that! But are you living for what God created you for? Have you even stopped to look at the seemingly inconsequential moments in your life? Sometimes those are the times when God was directly guiding you, but because they are so small, we don't even notice!

"This is what the Lord says: “When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the Lord, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.” -Jeremiah 29:10-14 [NIV]

I know where God is guiding me the next two weeks! Zambia will surely be an unforgettable experience. They are having a power crisis, which you can read about here. Ashley and Mel say power has been out nearly every day for 6-8 hours at Kachele. When we are not at Kachele, which is in Luanshya, we will be staying in Lusaka (the capitol.) Who knows what the power situation will be there. From Lusaka, it is about an hour and twenty minutes to Kabwe. I'll try to update everyone on our time in Zambia but, depending on the power, that could be very difficult. Thank you for your prayers throughout the next two weeks!

1 comment: