Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Starfish Story: Why bother?

A friend shared this photo on facebook, it was originally posted by Casey Jamerson here.
It's just so appropriate so I had to share it here too.






Is that great or is that great? In our society there seems to be an epidemic of self-fulfilling prophecy. "[I'm] going to fail anyway, so I'll just accept defeat now." "I'll never lose weight so I might as well enjoy dessert." "I'll always be in debt anyway, so what's $____ more?" Some people apply this to aiding those who are less fortunate (or at least 'less fortunate' by the standards of westernized society): Why bother fighting a battle that is doomed to fail?

A Suicide Mission. That's what we're on. We are dying to self every day. Self is all about self. Selfish, self-centered and self-dependent. Self self self. "I don't need anyone else because I can do it myself.""I am the only one who can make it happen.""I control my own destiny." We have been trained to look out for 'number one', to be distrusting of others, and if we want to make it we need to be fiercely independent. We've been taught that vulnerability is weakness, and that showing emotion just gives the 'other guy' the competitive edge. How thick can we be?

Every day 29,000 children die in Africa. I can't save them all. But I can save one, or a few. I might not make a difference in the world, but I can make a difference for that one. We're told we control our own destiny but if I was in their shoes: an orphan with no hope due to factors beyond my control, I'd want someone to make the difference for me. A few years ago I was on a trip to New Orleans, post Katrina. I heard people comment that "this wouldn't happen to me; I have insurance." But the truth is, those people did have insurance. Katrina was ruled a natural disaster, so insurance wasn't obligated to pay. We don't like to imagine ourselves as vulnerable. We avoid it at all costs. How many times do you really consider the needs of those around you? How many times to do you really put yourself in someone else's shoes? When your wait time at the pharmacy is longer than normal, do you realize it's because an elderly patient was just released from the hospital with a new prescription regimen? When you're in a hurry at the grocery store impatiently waiting in line, do you ever think about the mother in front of you who is trying to run errands and still get home in time to get the kids off the school bus? When your expectations aren't met, do you ever think that the person who let you down is dealing with immense hurt or loss and is solely focused on making it through the day? Instead of thinking of 'self self self ' think of someone else first. If your family member was just released from the hospital, you would want their new blood thinner/stroke prevention/antibiotic/pain medication to be the priority. If you were in a hurry, someone letting you go ahead in line would make your day. If you were the one struggling, a patient friend can make things so much easier to deal with.  I challenge you to deny self. Be the difference. Ask someone how they are - and really mean it; listen to their answer. Let someone go ahead of you in the checkout line (or in traffic!) and do it sincerely - not begrudgingly! Or sponsor a child.

I cannot change the world; but I can change the world for that child.


No comments:

Post a Comment